Sunday, 11 November 2012

Ira Newborn Interview

"RS: (8) It's interesting. Some would say that one who writes in many, many styles is kind of a "jack of all trades" and perhaps a master of none, yet in your situation you managed to not only foil that notion, but I think you possess a musical signature. Can you site any specific elements in your writing that perhaps lead people to perceive your music that way?
    IN: That's a hard one. Basically I don't... I enjoy many different styles of music, so I don't actually try and copy them. I try and find out what is the kernel of truth in it, the color, what it is that makes it what it is."


Compositional Process in film Scoring: An interview of composer/guitarist Ira Newborn
Ron Sadoff, Music and the Moving Image, June 2010,vol. 3 issue 2, p.16


Ira Newborn (born December 26, 1949 in New York city) is an American musician and composer, best known for his work composing motion picture soundtracks. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ira_Newborn) Wikipedia.com


Ron Sadoff asks Ira Newborn how he manages to apply his own "signature" to established genres of music. Newborn replies  he depicts the fundamental aspect of style in a genre and to reapply these for his own original material.

No comments:

Post a Comment